Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Black Canary and friend

I found the rough to this piece while looking for something else. After doing two pin-ups I can't show here, I thought I would finish this one and share. I will be slapping it up on eBay tonight. This is ink on 11" x 17" Canson Bristol Board.
Today's Legion Couple is Colossal Boy (Gim Allon) and Shrinking Violet (Salu Digby). Colossal Boy is from Earth and gained his powers from a meteor that crashed near him while vacationing on Mars. Shrinking Violet is from the planet Imsk, where all the inhabitants can shrink. They were a couple, and yet, they were not. Anybody remember the reason? Non-Legion nerds are excused from this. :) This was done in ink, watercolor and gouache on 11"x 17" illustration board.

6 comments:

LUD! said...

Gene,
I'll tackle the Legion question: Colossal Boy had a crush on Violet, but she was dating Lallorian hero Duplicate Boy. Suddenly, she got very close to Gim and they became a couple. Only it wasn't the real Violet--she was kidnapped and switched with a Durlan actress named Yera. The Legion discovered the impostor and recovered the real Violet, but Colossal Boy had fallen in love Yera and stayed together, getting married.

LLL,
Lud

Gene Gonzales said...

You got it Lud! LLL Thanks!

Brian Jones said...

Great Canary and Ollie was a nice touch...but it's all about the fishnets!

Royce Thrower said...

Finding a gem or "rough" like you did must be akin to putting on a coat for the first time in a year and finding a twenty in the pocket! Pleasant surprises!

lud beat me to the Legion question which I faintly remember.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Was this Black Canary "found" piece one of those that you drew "when you don't know what else to draw"? I seem to remember that you stated that on your blog a long time ago!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Brian, it's ALWAYS about the fishnets! :) Thanks!

Thanks Royce! I like that analogy.

Gary, I don't know what this piece was originally. It was roughed out on another piece of paper. Could have been a sketch from a con that wasn't working out and I tossed it back into my portfolio. Not too sure. It was BC though. I added GA when I finished it. But it is true that when all else fails, draw Black Canary! Thanks!