Thursday, June 5, 2008

Cheeky!

Another, even quicker, quickie for today. Going to be gone all day today but I wanted to do something before I leave. Might be too tired late tonight when I get home, and this gives me an excuse to play a bit more in Photoshop with some of the new brushes. This piece was done as an attempt to get the cheek right. The rest of the face didn't matter except to give the cheek some context. Otherwise this would look really strange. I'm fairly happy with it. I got some of the depth I was shooting for, but not completely happy with the color. There is a lot more I could do with the color. I stuck too much with the pinks and purples. Need to loosen up and really get adventurous. With time I suppose. I was using a wet oil brush and a watercolor brush set at different opacities. The line art itself was done using the conte pencil brush. Completely done in Photoshop, in 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

Nice cheek! It still amazes me how great the art can be when it is 100% digital from start to finish. The tech that has been developed over the last 10-15 years astounds me to no end.

Do you use any reference for these quick sketches or is this totally off the cuff? The pinks aside - she has been enjoying the summer Florida sun I guess :) - there is a lot of playful energy dancing around this pic. There is the dancing reference for Gary. Thanks for sharing the experiment. Hope Painter arrives for you today and that your day away is fun and productive.

Gary M. Peiffer said...

Gene,

Fun experiment, and the cheeks dominate. Taking the whole picture in, I got a Gwen Stacey vibe!

Well done!

Gary

Gene Gonzales said...

Thanks Royce - The reference was a picture. I sketched it out real quick. As you can tell by how badly the mouth and other cheek turned out. I changed the hair color and style. Before cropping it there was a hair band. Painter arrived on Wednesday. Going to play with it this weekend. Yesterday was highway time. Dakota flew out of Orlando/Sanford Airport to go to TN to visit my folks for 3 weeks. So 2.5 hours there, 2.5 hours before flight, wait until her flight got in the air (she is 12 and flying alone) and then the 3 hour drive back with traffic. Her flight was non-stop, so she was in TN long before I got home. :)

Thanks Gary. There was an intentional Gwenness to the piece. You can see want is left of her hairband in the upper right. :)