Thursday, May 5, 2011

Head Sketches

I did a bit of crowd sourcing on Twitter today for characters to draw. I am doing free head sketches this Saturday on Free Comic Book Day at Fanfare in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I don't do head sketches very often and wanted to do some warm ups to see how long they would take. Here are a couple I did today from the suggestions I got on Twitter.


Batman © DC Comics



Firestar © Marvel Entertainment

I've never did anything like this for FCBD so I was wondering, do artists doing these things normally do inks or just pencils? Probably doesn't matter, as long as I can actually turn them around pretty quick. :)

Batman was drawn with a blue Col-Erase pencil and Firestar is done in ink on 9" x 12" bristol board.

This is Post #1312

2 comments:

Royce Thrower said...

These look great Gene! Have fun at FCBD this Saturday. Long way to travel to do free sketches! But i think you will enjoy the atmosphere!

As far as pencil vs ink, I have seen both done. Sanford Greene always does a blue pencil sketch. Adam Hughes does a quickie marker thing. Budd Root does ink/marker. Andy Smith does graphite pencil only, and I have seen Brian Stelfreeze pull out watercolors on occasion, so really it is about what you can get done fast. I may be skewing things a bit but Heroes here hosts about 12 or 13 artists and a little of everything goes on. don't know what your turn-out will be but there are many hundreds here in Charlotte every year. Take your potassium to stave off the cramps! lol

The best thing about the day of course is just to have fun so....HAVE FUN!

Unknown said...

Amazing ;)

I agree with Mr. Royce, it depends on what you want to do.